Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gilgamesh tablets 9 & 10, response.

These two tablets left me with several questions. After reading how miserable Gilgamesh has converted because of his friend’s death, I am beginning to wonder if it is actually true that people become stronger when there is someone you love and can trust from the deepest place of your heart. I mean, I have heard that when one falls in love, that person becomes so important that your mind is invaded with that only person, both in a good and bad way. And not being able to control yourself is quite a dangerous condition. Before Gilgamesh met Enkidu, he was the strongest of all. But now look at him. He is just a miserable man that is hanging on his glory past.

However, it is also true that Gilgamesh has accomplished many other things with Enkidu. This fact, lead me to a second question: If one decides to live alone, for what would he/she live? For his/her glory? But who would he/she share his happiness with? The description of how it is to have someone trustable aside you and how it is to loose that person has thrown me to a maze of thoughts.


Apparently, I crushed with another question after finishing up tablet 10. “How can we balance acceptance and the strong will of not giving up?” Accepting the death of someone sounds a reasonable action. But accepting one’s limit sounds both reasonable and unreasonable. It sounds manly. Nonetheless, it also sounds an excuse to give up. I hope these questions would be answered later on in the story of Gilgamesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment